Friday, February 23, 2007

Caleb Quotes

Caleb is our oldest grandchild and as such he received an inordinate amount of attention when he was a toddler. He was able to enjoy the attention of two full sets of grandparents, five great grandparents, two aunts, some great aunts, and quite a few other assorted kinfolk. You would expect the first grandchild might be spoiled somewhat, but amazingly he is just the opposite. He is a gem of a kid. He is almost ready to get his driver’s license. It is hard to believe that he has already reached this age; time really does fly when you’re having fun.

Caleb hung out with me and my Dad a lot when he was growing up. Dad would pick him up at kindergarten after school. Caleb was a little shy, but talked incessantly to me and Dad. Here are some samples of some of the words of wisdom from Caleb:

He was about four and had spent the afternoon with his Aunt Bethany at the swimming pool. He was standing in front of me dripping wet and all pruny and I noticed him cock his head with a puzzled look. “Hey”, he said, “one of my ears is not listening!”

He was at church with us and we were trying to talk him into going to Children’s Church instead of sitting in the auditorium with us. We gave several enticing reasons for him to go, and figured he should be convinced. “OK”, I said, “do you want to go to Children’s Church now?” “No”, he replied emphatically. “Why not” Becky asked? “Because I don’t like children” he replied.

One day he followed me up the ladder into our attic. I smelled a dead mouse and commented on it to Caleb. He said, “I smell THREE dead mouses”! “Where” I said, “do you see them”? He shook his head no. “How do you know there’s three dead mice if you can’t see them”? He just gave me that silly grin. “Are you telling me that you can tell by smelling, that there is more than one dead mouse”? He shook his head yes, and kept grinning. I eventually found one dead mouse, but never did find the other two.

No comments: