Monday, May 12, 2008

Wolfhill Cattle Company News

She looks docile enough.
But she was "la vaca diablo", the devil cow.
Our new bull, Ranger.
He's not a devil bull, that's just redeye.
Tyler, our resident cowpoke on Dixie.

Last year Jeff and I bought two news cows and a calf. It turned out that my cow was... how should I say this?... CRAZY. Well, she was very skittish, and she had a tendancy to charge at me when I got her in close quarters. She also gave everyone the evil eye when they got too close. I gave her a chance to repent and mend her ways but when she chased Corey, my twelve year old nephew, that was too much. With help from Mike and John, and a beefed up gate on our crowd tub and chute we loaded her a few Sunday evenings ago and took her to the sale barn. It was a relief seeing her go snorting down the alley of the auction barn.

A week later we took Panama Red, our Red Angus bull to the sale also. He was getting a little too big by Wolfhill standards. He weighed 1745 pounds, not the biggest bull we've had, but it was time for him to go. With the proceeds from his sale we went last week and bought a young Gelbvieh bull that is gold color with a white face. We all took a vote and he was named Ranger. I told the son-in-laws that if the Texas Rangers win the pennant this year we will know that Ranger is a lucky name. John replied, "if he dies in July it will mean we shouldn't have named him after the Rangers."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was starting to worry about ya'll on wolfhill. It's been almost a month since you been on here. Shoot us a line every now and then.
Love,Sharon