Sunday, November 09, 2008

Hope Goes To Vote







Becky needed to vote last week so Hope and I went with her to the local community center. I had voted early about two weeks previously. Hope wore her American flag shirt with blue jeans and a red ribbon.












We then went to a new park for a hamburger lunch. The park is on the site of the old cotton mill that once employed hundreds of local folk including at one time my dad, my grandfather and other family members. In the late seventies when I was needing extra work Dad and I worked on the demolition and salvaging of the old mill. Dad was paid a dollar fifty an hour and I was paid a dollar twenty five. There is very little evidence of the old mill still visible. When I was toiling on the tear down, what if I could have looked into the future about thirty years and seen myself standing on the old railroad track holding a little Chinese daughter? Life takes some amazing twists.




Becky grew up just a couple of blocks from this bridge in the house where her grandparents lived for over fifty years. I played along the creek that it crosses when I was a kid and my grandparents lived about the same distance away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures of all the kids!