Tuesday, May 22, 2007

This is the Life!!

A couple of weeks ago I was rebuilding a fence and Sunnie and Tyler were hanging out with me. Tyler went up the hill to try and catch his mule, while Sunnie rode her bike to her house for ice water and a snack. They had already spilled half of my water and poured most of the other half on their chests trying to drink out of the spigot.

Sunnie returned shortly, with a baggie of ice cubes and a peanut butter bar in a sack. She looked up at me all red faced, sweaty, and grimy and said, “Ronnie, this is the life isn’t it?!” I smiled and said, “Yes it is Sunnie, blue sky, fresh air, birds singing, you can’t beat it.” Sunnie said, “I’m so glad we live in Texas, I just don’t know why anybody would want to live in the city!”

I have to admit, that made me feel pretty good. I want my grandchildren to love living in the country the same way that I do, and I almost felt sorry right then for city folks. Then as I thought on it a little more, I could see in my mind’s eye, little kids all over the world, many in city parks, or at the zoo, or in their yard, looking up at a parent or grandparent and saying, “this is the life isn’t it?”

I don’t think it is a location that determines whether “this is the life” or not, rather the fact that we are with people with love, enjoying what our Creator has provided for us. Children can be happy anywhere if they are the recipient of an adults love and attention. We can be like a child in that way also because of our Heavenly Father's love. The apostle Paul said that he had found that he could be content in any situation, and on Wolfhill we take Jesus at His word when He said, “ I came that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly.”

No comments: